Sunday, November 13, 2016

Fast-Forward to Advent

I was surprised, on Monday, to see a large decorated Christmas tree and wreaths decorating the medical facility where I took my mother last week to have her eyes checked. 
"It's not even Thanksgiving yet!" I complained. It felt somewhat like someone  had opened a gift too soon and was spoiling the surprise.

Yet I must admit that something in me wants to start preparing early this year too. I don't know if it's just that the events of this year, both nationally and internationally, have left me feeling violated somehow, shaken up and hungry for the beauty and peace of 'His Coming'. 

So Yes, I confess I went searching early for Advent, before Thanksgiving! Remembering that my dear friend, Kimberlee Conway Ireton, author of my favorite guide to the Christian church's Liturgical year, The Circle of Seasons, once had mentioned a fellow blogger who promoted a 40-day Advent observance, I googled and found the two sites linked below.

One is the site of the Northumbria Community, a monastic-like community seeking to live by a 'rule of life' similar to the Benedictine order (if I am not mistaken). They observe this Celtic 40-day Advent, and the page gives a beautiful introduction & justification for the practice. 

The other link is a chart for a 40-day Advent observance, designed by the blogger at the site, 'contemplative cottage'. Though not a scripture based activity, this chart provides meaningful & thoughtful activities to engage in as preparation for celebrating the Incarnation.

I will endeavor to post my reflections on my Blogsite (linked at jamaicadawnwings.blogspot.com) as I go through, in a very grace-filled way, 🙏🏿  this my first 40-day Advent.

 I anticipate a refreshing, refocusing of my heart, soul & mind as I worship the Lord and seek to bless my world by these activities. Join me, and share your own thoughts at 'Dawnwings' as well, as we 'Fast-Forward to Advent!'

Dancing in anticipation on that Bridge - the Cross - that spans the Great Divide between our hearts and His,

Denise


2 comments:

  1. Hi Denise - Kimberlee mentioned that you were doing the 40 day Advent! Yay! I've posted an updated version of the calendar for 2016. You can find it here: http://contemplativecottage.com/celtic-advent-calendar/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Susan! Pleased to make contact! I did notice that you had the updated, and assumed the link I included was the new though it said 2015😊Nonetheless, you have performed a wonderful service to us all and I have several family members and friends who plan to observe 40 days of Advent courtesy of your chart! Blessings! Denise

      Delete